COMP 310 Lecture 1: Notes

136 views144 pages

Document Summary

Based on professor"s comp 310 lecture slides, with additions and clarifications by author. Some elements from textbook or allan wang"s website. What is an operating system: trusted software interposed between the hardware and application/utilities to improve efficiency and usability, needs to be protected. Interposed between hardware and applications: most computing systems have some form of operating system, hard to use computer systems without os. Main idea of computer: read input, process output, process jobs. In the beginning : computers cost millions of , hard to operate (done using console switches, hard to program particularly device i/o, every second counts! Expensive machines cannot idle utilization should be very high. Idea: minimize computer idle time: batch processing was devised, programming done offline and subroutine were created for common tasks. I/o and processing overlap obtained via buffering and interrupts. 1: cost of computers (i. e. : computer time, cost of people (i. e. : user time)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers