BIOL 366 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Dscam, Maternal Effect, Alternative Splicing

51 views6 pages
12 Feb 2018
Department
Course

Document Summary

Neat way to use the same transcription model but then regulate products downstream. In bacteria, differential gene expression can be effected at the levels of transcription, translation, and protein modification. In eukaryotes, only possible level exists: control at the rna level of processing and transport. Rna processing is the splicing of mrna precursors into messages that specify different proteins by using different combinations of potential exons: a sequence that is an exon in one cell type may be an intron in another. A single gene can produce an entire family of proteins (splicing isoforms) Dendrites from neurons expressing the same d-scam isoform repel each other. Alternative splicing pattern can change over time in the same neuron. D- (cid:272)a(cid:373) ho(cid:373)olog i(cid:374) hu(cid:373)a(cid:374)s (cid:373)ay (cid:271)e i(cid:373)pli(cid:272)ated i(cid:374) d(cid:449)(cid:374)"s syndrome. From having blocks of alternate exons, exons 4,6,9, and 17 have multiple versions of them. Non-coding mutation in the myostatin gene cause larger muscles via altered mrna splicing.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers