PSYC 1001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Scientific Method, Personality Disorder, Behaviorism

50 views5 pages

Document Summary

Evolution of psychology: definition, science that studies behaviour and physiological and cognitive process that underlie it, and it is the profession that applies the accumulated knowledge of the science to practical problems, themes i. Our experience is highly subjective: theme 1: empiricism is the premise that knowledge should be acquired through observation psychologists conduct scientific research to test their ideas. ii. Fixed: there is a limit to your cognitive ability. Fluid: when you work harder you do better. Humors : mathematics so certain & philosophy so uncertain? ii. Cogito ergo sum : mind body dualism iv. Dissected animal brains, concluded pineal gland = soul: wilhelm wundt (1832-1920) u of leipzig i. ii. iii. iv. Function or purpose of consciousness ii: mental testing, development patterns, sex differences iv. Importance of unconscious, dreams: neurologist d, freudian slips like i don"t think we"ve been seduced f. Freud"s structure of personality i. ii. iii. d : instincts, pleasure principle, completely unconscious.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers