PUBH1030 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Motor Skill, Health Promotion

55 views4 pages
PE Lecture 5
Health promotion through PE
Increasingly over the past few years, PE classes are being promoted as a place to improve physical
activity outcomes
Physical Activity
• Youth pefoig adeuate aouts of odeate-to-vigorous physical activity (MVPA) are more
likely to: Achieve higher academic results, Report greater physical self-concept, Enjoy better
physical health
• It is estiated that  out of  studets oldide do ot eet peset phsial atiit guidelies
• “hools hae a ipotant role to play in promoting physical activity in youth through PE in the
school setting
• Lessos should e high i Atie Leaig Tie ALT
Are PE lessons active enough?
Research evaluating PS PE lessons has shown that students spend:
• 8% of the lesson waiting for something to happen
• % of tie ioled i aageial tasks
• % of tie spet eeiig ifoatio/istutios
• % of tie eig phsiall atie ith soe of this tie spet pefoig atiities that ae
either beyond or below their capacity)
Active Learning Time (ALT)
Ideally PE teachers should deliver engaging lessons in which at least 50% of the lesson is spent in
MVPA.
PE is not only about MVPA
• Whilst ieasig MVPA is ipotat, o peious stud has iestigated the effects of strategies
o the ualit of pedagog i.e., teahig patie delieed.
• Ieased MVPA a ot euate to geate ahieeet of studets affetie ad oeet skill
outcomes, such as perceived and actual motor skill competence.
What is quality PE?
Students are provided with intellectual and physical challenge, in a safe environment that promotes
risk taking, with a diverse range of perspectives that link to the outside world. This involves:
• Eposue to high Atie Leaig Tie (ALT)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Increasingly over the past few years, pe classes are being promoted as a place to improve physical activity outcomes. Ideally pe teachers should deliver engaging lessons in which at least 50% of the lesson is spent in. Students are provided with intellectual and physical challenge, in a safe environment that promotes risk taking, with a diverse range of perspectives that link to the outside world. Task: too diffi(cid:272)ult= failu(cid:396)e= f(cid:396)ust(cid:396)atio(cid:374), de(cid:448)ia(cid:374)t beha(cid:448)iou(cid:396), does(cid:374)(cid:859)t t(cid:396)(cid:455)/ fea(cid:396), bo(cid:396)edo(cid:373), negati(cid:448)e self concept, not active. Task: challenging= success= satisfaction, enjoyment, achievement, belonging, security, positive self concept, involved. What (cid:449)e a(cid:396)e ge(cid:374)e(cid:396)all(cid:455) asked to do to p(cid:396)odu(cid:272)e (cid:862)(cid:395)ualit(cid:455)(cid:863) pe e(cid:454)pe(cid:396)ie(cid:374)(cid:272)es. Sustained focus on substantive concepts, requiring students to synthesize and manipulate information, and requires students to communicate substantively about what they are learning: a fo(cid:272)us o(cid:374) ke(cid:455) (cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:272)epts (cid:455)ou (cid:449)a(cid:374)t taught th(cid:396)oughout the lesso(cid:374). No (cid:396)a(cid:374)do(cid:373) a(cid:272)ti(cid:448)ities fo(cid:396) the sake of it: all stude(cid:374)ts de(cid:373)o(cid:374)st(cid:396)ate the(cid:455) (cid:272)a(cid:374) pe(cid:396)fo(cid:396)(cid:373) agai(cid:374)st the out(cid:272)o(cid:373)es.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers