PUBH1030 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Pennsylvania System Of School Assessment, Asteroid Family, Osteoporosis

58 views5 pages
PE Lecture 6-
Children's participation in organised sport
What proportion of children participate in organised sport?
•I 2016, National data indicated nearly 3.2 million children (69%) participated in some form of spor
t or PA (outside of school hours)
• ‐ year olds most likely to participate ‐ ‐ (36%) ‐ (76%), ‐ (87%), ‐ (77%)
• Spot clubs are the main avenue for sport participation for children (except ‐ eas ‐
Boys (65%) more likely to be active through sports clubs than girls (48%) aged ‐
What are the most common sports/physical activities children participate in?
• Siig is the most common activity for Australian children (30%), followed by Football (14.7%)
• Most common boys activities: Football (22.8%), AFL (13.6%), Cricket (10%)
• Most common girls activities: Netball (14.5%), Dancing (13.8%), Gymnastics
(11.8%) What are the common barriers for participation in sport and PA?
• Paets perception that child is too young
• Costs
• Disiteest
• Tie constraints
How can we improve the grade?
• Patiipatio should be made equitable and accessible for children
• Cost is one of the key barriers given attention in recent eas ‐
Active Kids program ($100 voucher) from NSW Government
• Appeal to children who are not motivated by competition
• Gede equality in sport participation
• Ealuate and develop new paties ‐ Spotig codes, organisations, and coaches
Important considerations
• Ipotat to ensure children are active
• Qualit of sport/PA
• Alteatie options (e.g., adventure sports/lifelong PA)
Introduction to PS Sport
Structure
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
• Shool spot has ee a pat of school activities since the first schools began in Australia in the late
s.
• NSW PSSA & NSW CHS goeet
• NSW CSSA & NSW CIS idepedet
• Ita- and inter-school competitions
• Shool, )oe, ‘egioal, State ad Natioal epesetatio ithi the Shool Spotig stutue
School sport units are fantastic for our students to participate, succeed and have fun against other
students around the state and Australia.
The basic and udelig ai of shool spot is to poide a itegal pat of a idiiduals
development, involving a variety of learning experiences
• The eefits of a suessfull ipleeted Spot Eduatio poga ithi the shool ae self
evident
• A ell oganised intra- and inter-school sporting program will assist your school
School sport can be ipoed…
•Idepedet report into sport in Australia identified some issues with the state of shool spot:
Funding arrangements showed an overemphasis on elite sport and a clear neglect of gass oots sp
ort (i.e., youth participation)
Inadequate cooperation between sectors (e.g., sport and recreation, and education) resulting in inef
fective and inconsistent sport delivery
There has been a decline or stagnation of participation in sport at all levels
Sport is under resourced due to a lack of appreciation by all levels of government regarding the pote
ntial for sport to improve the health and wellbeing of the community
‐ Eistig facilities in schools are underutilised
There has been no formal accountability and reporting to the Australian government regarding the
requirement to provide two hours of physical activity per week in shools ‐
There are inadequate numbers of teachers trained to deliver sport and physical education in schools
‐ Loal sporting organisations have difficulty in gaining access to schools
Spotig Shools will:
Provide funding to PSs to engage quality accredited coaches to deliver sport to students before, dur
ing, and/or after school (up to 3 terms p.a) Provide online resources and lesson plans for teachers
Provide professional development for teachers
Foster links between schools, sporting clubs and coaches in the local community
Partner with national sporting bodies to promote youth sports participation
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Boys (65%) more likely to be active through sports clubs than girls (48%) aged (cid:1009) (cid:1005)(cid:1005) How can we improve the grade: pa(cid:396)ti(cid:272)ipatio(cid:374) should be made equitable and accessible for children, cost is one of the key barriers given attention in recent (cid:455)ea(cid:396)s . Active kids program ( voucher) from nsw government: appeal to children who are not motivated by competition, ge(cid:374)de(cid:396) equality in sport participation, e(cid:448)aluate and develop new p(cid:396)a(cid:272)ti(cid:272)es spo(cid:396)ti(cid:374)g codes, organisations, and coaches. Important considerations: i(cid:373)po(cid:396)ta(cid:374)t to ensure children are active, qualit(cid:455) of sport/pa, alte(cid:396)(cid:374)ati(cid:448)e options (e. g. , adventure sports/lifelong pa) School sport units are fantastic for our students to participate, succeed and have fun against other students around the state and australia. School sport can be i(cid:373)p(cid:396)o(cid:448)ed : i(cid:374)depe(cid:374)de(cid:374)t report into sport in australia identified some issues with the state of (cid:858)s(cid:272)hool spo(cid:396)t(cid:859): Funding arrangements showed an overemphasis on elite sport and a clear neglect of (cid:858)g(cid:396)ass (cid:396)oots(cid:859) sp ort (i. e. , youth participation) .

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers