PSYC20008 Lecture 19: PSYC20008 Lecture 19 + 20

53 views17 pages
Lecture 19
-
- Subjective feelings: Connie was excited, Dina was fearful; their interpretation of the
rest of their experiences
- Physiological factors: their senses, sight, sound, touch, internal things: nutrition,
hormonal activities, sleep health/debt
- Cognitions: thoughts, interpretations of physiological things, narratives; Connie was
thinking about warm sun on her skin + thinking about what life was like last time she
saw the ride, was too small; Dina was thinking about when she was scared about the
ride + how much she hates heights
- Desire to take action: continue activity, change activity, or stop activity; Connie
wanted to continue activity; Dina wanted to change activity to make it more safe or
stop activity entirely and get off
- Where psychologists differ is how important these four things are
- Some say emotions are physiological responses, innate, prepackaged, something
that you are already born with (smile when happy, certain hormonal levels when
excited, when we get older → get more in tune with those emotions)
- Others say emotions are entirely motivational, purpose behind emotion is to motivate
us to do things, reach towards something we like and away from something we don’t
-
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 17 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
-
- Emotion as a cognitive process: we have emotions so we can appraise/evaluate our
experiences in terms of our values or our concerns
- Antecedent: anything that takes place before the actual thing we’re looking at;
Connie has an emotional experience that is a set of appraisals happening in quick
succession followed by an expression of emotion
- Primary appraisal: cognitive or physiological; Connie feeling sun on skin or being
aware of going up into the air or looking out into the view / Connie thinking she is
warm, this is fun, remembering the past; things usually about what is happening right
now
- Secondary appraisal: only cognitive; interpretations of what’s happening in primary
appraisal; when looking out → thinks there’s her house, involve what can one do
about this, not always conscious, can be below consciousness, do I want this event
to continue → how to do I get that
- Expression: the response to how to do sth, this is what I’m going to do to keep the
event stopping, going, changing; physical (facial expression, laugh), verbal (saying
this is fun, squealing); 2 consequences - new antecedent → new thing driving the
emotion (if squeal in excitement) → loops around back to primary appraisal (think
about the squeal and appraise squeal which continues excited mood); a form of
communication of our emotions to other people
- Cognitive approach to emotion puts 4 components of emotion: cognition and
physiological factors can be antecedent or if antecedent is external → then cognition
and physiological factors are primary appraisal → cognition is also secondary
appraisal, new cognition about interpreting first one, subjective feelings {evaluating
the overall experience, label excitement}, desire to take action [what do you want to
Unlock document

happen here] → expression [only expression about desire to take action,
communication to others (the key purpose of emotion in cognitive approach)]
- Because we are social creatures → depend on each other to have social needs met
→ others can’t readily help us do that unless they understand what our needs are,
likewise we can’t help others unless we can read their emotional state and kn ow
what they need
-
-
- Anger is something that pushes people away, tells person I’m not liking this situation
and I don’t want you around me, nothing you can do to make this situation better, I
have to deal with this on my own → person reading this situation This isn’t going to
be fun if I stay here, I’m not going to be helpful so I’m going to leave
- Happiness draws people in, “I’m enjoying this situation and you’re the one making
me enjoy it, at least your presence is going to disrupt my happiness, even though my
happiness as nothing to do with you I’m happy and going to be fun to be around”
- Sadness draws people in, combination of 2, “I’m really not enjoying this situation, but
also need someone here to comfort me, to protect me and make me feel better”
- Getting a lot of information across just through expressing how we’re appraising our
events inside → information is used by other people to gauge whether or not they
want to be around us and how they are going to help us
Unlock document

Document Summary

Subjective feelings: connie was excited, dina was fearful; their interpretation of the rest of their experiences. Physiological factors: their senses, sight, sound, touch, internal things: nutrition, hormonal activities, sleep health/debt. Desire to take action: continue activity, change activity, or stop activity; connie wanted to continue activity; dina wanted to change activity to make it more safe or stop activity entirely and get off. Where psychologists differ is how important these four things are. Some say emotions are physiological responses, innate, prepackaged, something that you are already born with (smile when happy, certain hormonal levels when excited, when we get older get more in tune with those emotions) Others say emotions are entirely motivational, purpose behind emotion is to motivate us to do things, reach towards something we like and away from something we don"t like. Emotion as a cognitive process: we have emotions so we can appraise/evaluate our experiences in terms of our values or our concerns.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers