PSYC20006 Lecture Notes - Fall 2017 Lecture 1 - Window period, Motor system, Visual cortex

62 views4 pages

Document Summary

Informs about localised brain function (cid:862)no(cid:374)-i(cid:374)vasive(cid:863) te(cid:272)h(cid:374)i(cid:395)ue to (cid:272)(cid:396)eate vi(cid:396)tual (cid:272)o(cid:396)ti(cid:272)al lesio(cid:374)s that (cid:373)i(cid:373)i(cid:272) lesio(cid:374)s. Studies on patients with real lesions allows us to study what patients can no longer do after. Example: phineas gage, railroad construction worker who suffered brain injury after a rod pierced his head & frontal cortex led to severe changes in his personality. Example: removal of most parts of his hippocampus, parahippocampal gyrus and amygdala in h. m. led to anterograde amnesia. Localised lesions allow better understanding of the function of specific brain regions. Temporary and reversible (mimics real lesions, though much smaller: applied externally using a coil placed on the scalp that produces a rapidly changing magnetic field to induce electrical currents in the brain (neurons use electrical currents to communicate) The induced currents can depolarise neurons in a small, circumscribed area of the cortex.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers