PSYC10004 Lecture 7: PSYC10004 7. Emotions as Interactive Developmental Processes

51 views4 pages
12 May 2018
Department
Course
Professor
7. Emotions as Interactive Developmental Processes
Deprivation or Privation?
Bowlbydeprivation hypothesis
Rutterdistinguishes privation and deprivation
Deprivation: occurs when a child has an attachment and loses the attachment figure
Privation: occurs when a child has never had a close relationship with anyone
Effects of privation are more sever and long-lasting
Are the Effects of Early Deprivation Reversible?
Continuity of experience is the norm
Research investigating instances of discontinuity of attachment (either attachment never started or
child was left by attachment figure)
Romanian Orphans
6 year olds adopted prior to 6 months seemed to develop relatively normally
but tend to go with strangers too easily, may be because they formed attachment but not that strong
11 year olds adopted after 6 months have not caught up peers in terms of intellectual and social
behaviour
Attachment Developmental Implications
Attachment:
hat's iportat is the arer’s aility ad readiess to pereie ifat sigals, iterpret the ad
react promptly and adequately in a consistent way
Emotion Processes in Development
Emotion as an Innate Feature of Human Behaviour
Darwin:
o emotion an innate system with evolutionary adaptive function
o biologically programmed
o produced and recognised universally
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Rutter distinguishes privation and deprivation: deprivation: occurs when a child has an attachment and loses the attachment figure, privation: occurs when a child has never had a close relationship with anyone, effects of privation are more sever and long-lasting. Are the effects of early deprivation reversible: continuity of experience is the norm, research investigating instances of discontinuity of attachment (either attachment never started or child was left by attachment figure) Attachment: (cid:449)hat"s i(cid:373)porta(cid:374)t is the (cid:272)arer"s a(cid:271)ility a(cid:374)d readi(cid:374)ess to per(cid:272)ei(cid:448)e i(cid:374)fa(cid:374)t sig(cid:374)als, i(cid:374)terpret the(cid:373) a(cid:374)d react promptly and adequately in a consistent way. Emotion processes in development: emotion as an innate feature of human behaviour, darwin, emotion an innate system with evolutionary adaptive function, biologically programmed, produced and recognised universally. Research on universals of emotion: universal association between particular facial expressions and reported emotions true for basic emotions: happy, sad, fear, surprise, anger, disgust.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers