GENE20001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Prophage, Integrase, Chromosome

46 views4 pages
15 Aug 2018
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

* bacterial and bacteriophage genetics are the foundation for molecular biology & genetics. They give fundamental knowledge about: what is a gene?, what is the basis of mutation?, how can we manipulate dna? (cloning, recombinant dna technology, gm in health, agriculture and industry) * bacteriophage (phage) are viruses that infect bacteria. * phage that infect escherichia coli can be either virulent or temperate. (virulent and temperate are descriptors of behaviour once they infect the host) * virulent phage (cid:894)(cid:272)a(cid:374)(cid:859)t u(cid:374)dergo lysoge(cid:374)i(cid:272) (cid:272)y(cid:272)le(cid:895) i(cid:374)(cid:272)lude the (cid:858)t(cid:859) series phage t1, t2, t3, t4 etc. * temperature (can undergo lysogenic cycle) phage i(cid:374)(cid:272)lude phage a(cid:374)d 80. * different phage may carry different forms of genetic material: * bacteriophage can be seen by their effect on bacteria. * bacteria has been spread on an agar plate (with medium) and bacteriophage has been added. The bacteriophage causes holes in bacterial lawn known as plaque. It does not cause holes in the agar on the plate.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers