ENST2002 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Small Population Size, Black Stilt, Minimum Viable Population

34 views4 pages

Document Summary

Extinct in the wild: o(cid:374)l(cid:455) su(cid:396)(cid:448)i(cid:448)e i(cid:374) (cid:272)apti(cid:448)it(cid:455) o(cid:396) i(cid:374) seed(cid:271)a(cid:374)ks. But small populations more likely to go extinct: loss of genetic variation and inbreeding depression, demographic fluctuations, environmental fluctuations and natural catastrophes. Artefact practice of not reporting until decades after no longer been found. It is extremely difficult to determine whether a species is extinct, or just absent from an area but you do only need one specimen to prove that a species is still with us. May be locally and ecologically extinct but may be survivors. Explains species richness or the number of species on a particular island: histo(cid:396)i(cid:272)all(cid:455) isla(cid:374)ds ha(cid:448)e see(cid:374) the (cid:271)ulk of e(cid:454)ti(cid:374)(cid:272)tio(cid:374)s. Q: what are the features of islands that make them extinction prone. The equilibrium number of species on an island is a balance between the immigration of new species and the extinction of existing species. On larger islands, immigration rates are higher and extinction rates lower, resulting in richer diversity of species.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers