POLS1002 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Private Good, Club Good, Collective Action

37 views4 pages
THE PUBIC GOOD AND COLLECTIVE ACTION
- What is a public good?
- What is the difference between a public good and a private good?
- What types of public goods exist?
THE PUBLIC GOOD
Club good a g to be used by some people to the exclusion of others e.g. tolls for bridges/roads
Commons rival, or congestible, g that are not excludable and can be exhausted e.g. air
Externality effet of soe peoples atio o other peoples utilit, hether positie or egatie
Network g a g that gives higher benefits to each user the higher the no. of users e.g. languages
Private or individual g a divisible g that can be used individually
Public or collective g an indivisible g that is supplied jointly to all potential users
Pure public g a g that can be used by one perso ithout reduig aoe elses utilit
Rival, or congestible, g a g whose use by one person can diminish the utility for other people using the g.
The D for public g and the relative level of public expenditure tend to expand with economic prosperity, institutional
stability and democratic govt.
- The concept of public goods, as opposed to private goods, can draw a dividing line between the domains of public activity
(govt.) and those of private concerns (individual citizens).
Public or Collective Good
o A idiisile thig that is supplied joitl to all potetial users e.g. lighthouse
o Non-excludable and non-rivalrous
o Ejoet doest ipede other peoples ejoet
o Jointly supplied
o Market failure
o Are indivisible and are jointly supplied to their potential users
o Individuals interested in using public goods may not have incentives to contribute to their provision because they can
expect not to be excluded from access.
o Cooperation or coercion, whether by means of collective action or effective govt., is necessary for the provision of
public goods.
o A eteralit, or the eteral effet of soe peoples atio o other peoples utilit, iplies the produtio of a
public good or evil e.g. smoke, pollution, noise
Pure Public Good
o A thig that a e used  oe perso ithout reduig aoe elses utilit
o Quintessential public good lighthouse
o E.g. lighthouse eause it ould e ipossile to harge a toll ad ho ould the reoe the good if the toll ist
payed. Can only be officially built by the govt.
Types of Public Goods
- Network goods:
o they can give higher benefits to each user the higher the no. of users e.g. languages, weights and measures, currencies,
world wide web, social media.
o They can be provided without significant institutional problems. Major institutional problem is infrastructure.
- Pure goods:
o The a e used  ore people ithout reduig other peoples utilit e.g. atioal defee, adaes i koledge
o They can be provided in the amount desired by the potential users, by appropriate institutional means.
- Rival goods:
o The addition of users can diminish or even eliminate the utility of other users e.g. clean air, water, roads, hospitals
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Club good a g to be used by some people to the exclusion of others e. g. tolls for bridges/roads. Commons rival, or congestible, g that are not excludable and can be exhausted e. g. air. Private or individual g a divisible g that can be used individually. Public or collective g an indivisible g that is supplied jointly to all potential users. Pure public g a g that can be used by one perso(cid:374) (cid:449)ithout redu(cid:272)i(cid:374)g a(cid:374)(cid:455)o(cid:374)e else(cid:859)s utilit(cid:455) The d for public g and the relative level of public expenditure tend to expand with economic prosperity, institutional stability and democratic govt. The concept of public goods, as opposed to private goods, can draw a dividing line between the domains of public activity (govt. ) and those of private concerns (individual citizens). Public or collective good: a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)isi(cid:271)le (cid:862)thi(cid:374)g(cid:863) that is supplied joi(cid:374)tl(cid:455) to all pote(cid:374)tial users e. g. lighthouse, non-excludable and non-rivalrous, e(cid:374)jo(cid:455)(cid:373)e(cid:374)t does(cid:374)(cid:859)t i(cid:373)pede other peoples e(cid:374)jo(cid:455)(cid:373)e(cid:374)t.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers