TECH108 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Technical Textile, E-Textiles, Noise Reduction

63 views3 pages
3 May 2018
School
Department
Course
WEEK 2:
Extreme, Technical or Industrial Textiles
Tehial o idust tetiles ae idel used i appliatios ad otiute geatl to
toda’s ualit of life. Tale 1-1 (previous slide) lists some technical textiles. Technical
textiles are used in the automotive industry for durable tire cords; comfortable and stylish
seat upholstery and carpeting; headliners and window runners for noise reduction and a
finished interior; seat belts and shoulder harnesses for safety; reinforcement fibers in
moulded plastic parts to reduce weight and cost; and fan belts, gaskets, and seals to
ipoe futio ad effiie.
Smart Textiles
Smart textiles sense and react to the environment or stimuli of an electrical, chemical,
thermal, mechanical, magnetic, or other nature. These fabrics are also known by such terms
as smart fabrics, interactive textiles, or intelligent textiles. Smart textiles control delivery of
medication, monitor pulse and body temperature, sense seat occupancy in vehicles,
poote heat loss i a eathe, ad edue heat loss i old eathe.
Functional Design:
Specific end use or purpose of item. Relates to how well the item performs its required task.
Aesthetic Design:
The visual appeal of an item, eg beading, hems, invisible zip etc
Function relates to end use, purpose, how does item perform required task, determines
success. Textile Items: Patternmaking, construction techniques, fastenings, fabric properties
and performance
Aesthetics visual appeal; subjective; judgement based on values, beliefs, fashions,
emotions, senses; good design = interesting and stimulating; elements and principles of
design
Textile - Surface decoration (beading, embroidery, printing, dyeing, patchwork);
Embellishment; Selected Materials; Colour; Texture; Silhouette (shape)
Which more important can and will have elements of both. centuries old debate, form vs
function
Designs can be analysed using the elements and principles of design
Environmental Sustainability: Aims to preserve biodiversity and natural ecosystems over an
indefinite period of time.
Economics: A designer must consider all aspects of economics, including the costs of all
materials, designing and manufacturing. Careful consideration of this limits the wastage of
money.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Extreme, technical or industrial textiles (cid:862)te(cid:272)h(cid:374)i(cid:272)al o(cid:396) i(cid:374)dust(cid:396)(cid:455) te(cid:454)tiles a(cid:396)e (cid:449)idel(cid:455) used i(cid:374) appli(cid:272)atio(cid:374)s a(cid:374)d (cid:272)o(cid:374)t(cid:396)i(cid:271)ute g(cid:396)eatl(cid:455) to toda(cid:455)"s (cid:395)ualit(cid:455) of life. Ta(cid:271)le 1-1 (previous slide) lists some technical textiles. Smart textiles (cid:862)smart textiles sense and react to the environment or stimuli of an electrical, chemical, thermal, mechanical, magnetic, or other nature. These fabrics are also known by such terms as smart fabrics, interactive textiles, or intelligent textiles. Smart textiles control delivery of medication, monitor pulse and body temperature, sense seat occupancy in vehicles, p(cid:396)o(cid:373)ote heat loss i(cid:374) (cid:449)a(cid:396)(cid:373) (cid:449)eathe(cid:396), a(cid:374)d (cid:396)edu(cid:272)e heat loss i(cid:374) (cid:272)old (cid:449)eathe(cid:396). (cid:863) Relates to how well the item performs its required task. The visual appeal of an item, eg beading, hems, invisible zip etc. Function relates to end use, purpose, how does item perform required task, determines success. Textile items: patternmaking, construction techniques, fastenings, fabric properties and performance.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers