PERF104 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Moscow Art Theatre

74 views2 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor
PERF104 Lecture Notes Wednesday 22nd March 2017
The Cherry Orchard
- Play written in 1904. Originally conceived as a comedy.
- Chekov developed a new style with his plays and needed a new place to perform
them.
- Therefore, he looked to the Moscow Arts Theatre
o Dedicated to social idealism
o Wanted to make theatre vibrant and alive.
o Wanted to make it more intimate
Prior to the Moscow Arts theatre
- 19th century playhouses squashed people in.
- haraters ould’t hae deep eotioal sees. It ould’t e see y the people
up the back.
Cheko’s dialogue is sutle ad full of sigifiae. Filled ith syoli eaig. Reeals a
lot about the characters.
Offstage and inner action:
- things happen off stage that impact the characters.
- What happens on stage seems to have a deeper meaning.
- Tie does’t see to atter i Cheko’s plays.
Charaters i Cheko’s plays see to e alays sittig aroud talkig aout the past.
His haraters aste their lies. They do’t lie for the moment.
- Human beings do reminisce and procrastinate.
There is eer a tie that is etter tha the tie you’re liig o.
He is also talkig aout the Russia reolutioary soiety i the herry orhard. If you do’t
get on board with the change, you a’t surie.
The Cherry Orchard represents something: sentimental value.
Lyubov Andreevna is so caught up in the past, she is unable to make important decisions.
“he does’t hae uh oey ayore, ut she used to. “he os the lad the Cherry
Orchard is on.
Lopakhin is advancing into the future. He offers Lyubov Andreevna a solution: sell the cherry
orchard estate and you can have money to live off for the rest of your life. He is a realist
who knows that the only way to survive is to change with the times.
Lopakhin is not a greedy capitalist. He is a decent man.
Tropimov is a studet ho eer oes o fro eig a studet. He does’t really hae a
aitio to use his studies to ake a areer. All of Russia is our Orhard hits to the
metaphor of the Cherry Orchard.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Chekov developed a new style with his plays and needed a new place to perform them. Therefore, he looked to the moscow arts theatre: dedicated to social idealism, wanted to make theatre vibrant and alive, wanted to make it more intimate. 19th century playhouses squashed people in. (cid:272)hara(cid:272)ters (cid:272)ould(cid:374)"t ha(cid:448)e deep e(cid:373)otio(cid:374)al s(cid:272)e(cid:374)es. It (cid:449)ould(cid:374)"t (cid:271)e see(cid:374) (cid:271)y the people up the back. Cheko(cid:448)"s dialogue is su(cid:271)tle a(cid:374)d full of sig(cid:374)ifi(cid:272)a(cid:374)(cid:272)e. filled (cid:449)ith sy(cid:373)(cid:271)oli(cid:272) (cid:373)ea(cid:374)i(cid:374)g. re(cid:448)eals a lot about the characters. Offstage and inner action: things happen off stage that impact the characters. What happens on stage seems to have a deeper meaning. Ti(cid:373)e does(cid:374)"t see(cid:373) to (cid:373)atter i(cid:374) cheko(cid:448)"s plays. Chara(cid:272)ters i(cid:374) cheko(cid:448)"s plays see(cid:373) to (cid:271)e al(cid:449)ays sitti(cid:374)g arou(cid:374)d talki(cid:374)g a(cid:271)out the past. There is (cid:374)e(cid:448)er a ti(cid:373)e that is (cid:271)etter tha(cid:374) the ti(cid:373)e you"re li(cid:448)i(cid:374)g (cid:374)o(cid:449). He is also talki(cid:374)g a(cid:271)out the russia(cid:374) re(cid:448)olutio(cid:374)ary so(cid:272)iety i(cid:374) the (cid:272)herry or(cid:272)hard.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers