HIST106 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Queensland, Great Palm Island, United Nations Human Rights Council

25 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
HIST106 Lecture Notes Monday 16th October 2017
Understanding Palm Island
Last fortnight in the news
- Oct 6, Townsville: the activist Dr Evelyn Scott became the first Indigenous woman to
have a state funeral
- Oct 12, Darwin: Facing Two Fronts, an exhibition about Indigenous diggers and their
struggles for land & civil rights, opened at the National Archives
o To Frots eas oth the struggles the eperieed i ar ad the
struggles they experienced upon returning home stolen wages, inequality
etc.
- Oct 12, Tamworth: Greens MP David Shoebridge called for an independent
investigation into the recent death in custody of Tane Chatfield, a 22 year old
Indigenous man
- Oct 13, Sydney: NSW government passed legislation to preserve Aboriginal
languages
o First time a legislation such as this has passed.
- Oct 13/ongoing: Australia likely to win bid to sit on UN Human Rights council, but
record on refugees and Indigenous rights (esp. incarceration) is being scrutinised.
Previously in HIST106
- Perceptio of Idigeous peoples as treaherous ad ugrateful for iilisatio
- Queeslad’s oloisatio later tha other parts of Australia – different experience,
age of rae ifluee
- Role of police on frontier
- Laws in 1865 and 1897 defined Indigenous children as neglected, Indigenous people
ards of state, hildlike
- Missions and reserves: role of Palm Island
- Jobs and money controlled, wages stolen
- Gradual extension of rights, freedoms, education, changing white attitudes linear
progression?
- Argument: Coloial poer otiues, ad o-Indigenous Australians are its
eefiiaries
- Indigenous peoples and cultures as primitive relics display and repatriation
What can we learn from the case of Palm Island?
- There is no one, simple, linear history of Australian Indigenous peoples
o Chloe Hooper travelled to palm island and other areas where the colonial
frontier mindset was still strong in 2004-2005-2006 etc.
- Ho past is the oloial/frotier past?
- Australia has come a long way but some struggles are ongoing
- To understand Palm Island in the 21st century we must understand its history
- Ongoing legacy/presence of colonial relationships in Aboriginal health, education,
housing, services, incarceration rates.
Quote fro Loitja O’Doaghue
- She made many of the above connections before the tragedy at Palm Island.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Oct 6, townsville: the activist dr evelyn scott became the first indigenous woman to have a state funeral. Oct 12, tamworth: greens mp david shoebridge called for an independent investigation into the recent death in custody of tane chatfield, a 22 year old. Oct 13, sydney: nsw government passed legislation to preserve aboriginal languages: first time a legislation such as this has passed. Oct 13/ongoing: australia likely to win bid to sit on un human rights council, but record on refugees and indigenous rights (esp. incarceration) is being scrutinised. Perceptio(cid:374) of i(cid:374)dige(cid:374)ous peoples as (cid:862)trea(cid:272)herous(cid:863) a(cid:374)d u(cid:374)grateful for (cid:862)(cid:272)i(cid:448)ilisatio(cid:374)(cid:863) Quee(cid:374)sla(cid:374)d"s (cid:272)olo(cid:374)isatio(cid:374) later tha(cid:374) other parts of australia different experience, (cid:862)age of ra(cid:272)e(cid:863) i(cid:374)flue(cid:374)(cid:272)e. Laws in 1865 and 1897 defined indigenous children as neglected, indigenous people (cid:449)ards of state, (cid:862)(cid:272)hildlike(cid:863) Missions and reserves: role of palm island. Argument: (cid:862)colo(cid:374)ial po(cid:449)er (cid:272)o(cid:374)ti(cid:374)ues, a(cid:374)d (cid:374)o(cid:374)-indigenous australians are its (cid:271)e(cid:374)efi(cid:272)iaries(cid:863) Indigenous peoples and cultures as primitive relics display and repatriation.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers