BUSI 3310- Midterm Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 40 pages long!)

93 views40 pages

Document Summary

Intro to organizational behavior (ob) (cid:862)a field of study that i(cid:374)vestigates the i(cid:373)pa(cid:272)t of i(cid:374)dividuals, groups a(cid:374)d stru(cid:272)ture o(cid:374) behavior within organizations; the aim is to apply such knowledge toward improving orga(cid:374)izatio(cid:374)al effe(cid:272)tive(cid:374)ess(cid:863) The study of what people think, feel, and do in and around organizations. Multidisciplinary field: psychology, socology, political science, information systems. Research methodology: ob theories are tested using research (qualitative and quantitative methods) Individual level microlevel: group/team level meso-level, organizational level macrolevel. Open systems approach: we are all interconnected one thing has an impact on others: cha(cid:374)ge o(cid:374)e thi(cid:374)g other thi(cid:374)gs (cid:272)ha(cid:374)ge too. Increased diversity within the workforce: different values, different strengths. Increased creativity and innovation; linked to market responsiveness. Organizational level: globalization, multinational corporations, co-ordination, governance, cross-cultural differences, social ethics, unemployment. Organizational and individual levels: new employment relationship, employability, contingent workers. Information technology: telecommuting, virtual teams, virtual leashes, global operations, blurring of organizational boundaries.